Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Winter-time crafting.... I've been in love with felting, creating buttery soft felt from old wool sweaters and then using it in foundations for jewelry.


First step is to cut up the sweater into squares.  I found this Ralph Lauren item in a secondhand shop.

After cutting the squares. several layers are sewn together and then cut into strips.  Since this is a technique to make felt beads, rope, and squares was developed by Odile Gova, I'll reference her shop here so you can order the tutorial PDF if you like.   The magic is that you do it in the washing machine!
This is what results from the washing machine.....

Close up of the beads (which I haven't figured out what I'll do with yet).....


I have been using the larger felt squares though.  The resulting felt is so soft I can't resist.  So I've gotten some necklaces made and also this little flower.


Needle felting is a very different technique and involve using what's called roving, the fiber before it's spun into yarn or cloth, and needles that are sharp (very), thin, and have barbs on their staff to catch the fibers and make them "hang on" to each other.  I'm having a lot of fun with the technique.  It doesn't take long to understand how to but it does take awhile to learn to keep your fingers out of the way!  Ouch!








  

No comments:

Post a Comment